Screenscribbler

Sunday 30 October 2011

Writing Networks

The romantic image of a writer shut away in some far-flung retreat miles from civilization, seems more unlikely than ever before during the dawn of a networking age that we are currently living in. Admittedly, there may be an element of secrecy for the closet unpublished writer. It is an odd thing to say within your own social circle 'I'm a writer' if you're not yet the household name you would wish to be. If writing is what you do then a writer is what you are.
But is this really a new age? I attend a screenwriter's group in London as often as I can. It's a small group who meet in a pub where around four scripts per month are critiqued, and valuable feedback is given. This is the best learning resource I have, to try and improve my writing. Collectively there is a wealth of experience and knowledge in a relaxed atmosphere over a couple of pints of bitter in an old London pub. I can't help evoking an image in my mind of writers, artists and philosophers at similar meetings over the years none more famous than the Bloomsbury group. During these whimsical moments, I'm including myself as continuing this long established tradition (dream on). 
Writers need to network with writers for so many different reasons. For one, if you can't cope with rejection, then don't be a writer was said by a publisher speaking at a writer's conference I went to earlier this year.
That's sound advice, but what better support can you get at times like this than the support of other writers to soothe the publisher's or agent's rejective lash marks.
http://www.writers-forum.com/ There you go WFM, a plug from a grateful  subscriber
Writer's magazines such a Writer's Forum is another resource for making valuable connections, such as workshops, conferences and linking with individual writers like Nari (Postcards From My Mind http://nari-journal.blogspot.com/). I also have Nari to thank for Judith (http://millil.blogspot.com/) and HC                       ( http://hcclarke.blogspot.com/) and HC to thank for Sam. My own blog introduced me to Deborah (http://deborahjbarker.wordpress.com/ Living Between the Lines) a regular commenter. I also have xmisty, MikeyW who I know personally. He's a very brave young man who regularly does open mike sessions in Comedy clubs around London. I need to give him a nudge to get his blog going. And a special hi to Matt Alan.
I have a writer's account on Facebook and Twitter. Twitter I find more useful than Facebook, but I have some nice contacts on FB.
My pastime of writing has become the opposite of solitary, which is enough reason for me to continue and never give up.

4 comments:

  1. Love the idea of you carrying on such an old tradition. Did I ever tell you that my great, great grandfather used to meet with Charles Dickens in the London coffee houses? It is well documented in my family. I always think it sounds so romantic (in a writerly sense). The novel I am working on is based on this fact - albeit rather tenuously.
    I used to belong to a writing/critique group online - it was brilliant. I even devised and ran a chat room called 'The Writers' Pub' which was the British version of the writers' cafe that the our American counterpart was using.
    I am pretty solitary here - if you discount the five children who visit regularly with their partners and babies and the two dogs who are constantly needing 'something'. I too find Twitter more useful than FB which I tend to keep for keeping up with family photos. We do have a business FB page though as one must these days!
    Oh and thank you for the mention in the post. Much appreciated ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a claim to fame to be proud of. Charles Dickens was a Victorian Rockstar Superstar.
    I fantasize about being in the audience of his public readings hearing the great man speak. Apparently he was quite a performer.
    I'm looking forward to reading your novel when it comes out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will more than likely be back again to obtain a great deal more. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're more than welcome. :-)

    ReplyDelete