Screenscribbler

Tuesday 22 November 2011

I've got rhythm, I've got... what is it?

I'm enjoying my novella project so much it might even make novel status. I don't know what it is, but by the time I got to writing Chapter 3 I seem to have found what I can only describe as a rhythm. Others may say I have found my mojo, but it's more than that. It's hard to define other than a rhythm that is the pace when everything comes together apparently seamlessly. Chapters 1 & 2 haven't got it. I can tell by looking at them, but I can't describe what it is. What is it?
I'm not saying I have suddenly discovered the key to great writing. That's for a reader to decide. What I mean is  my words are descending gently onto the screen as if the descent of each word is controlled by a parachute instead of splatting them onto the page like they've been thrown from a great height.
At school I wasn't too keen on art lessons, and yet I had to leave school before I could discover that art was to become a big part of my life. Art at school was very controlled, precise and governed by rules. One would hope that times have changed in today's education system. I taught myself to paint, and my style was relaxed and fairly loose. You can easily see the difference between  tight controlled brush strokes and a painting that is free and easy in manner.
I have often used this analogy of comparing writing to painting  to help me understand better what I want to achieve and how I am going to achieve it. There are many similarities in both art forms and I would imagine a musician could probably compare his art to the written word or indeed any other art medium.
Whatever it is, mojo or rhythm, I'll enjoy it while I can and hope I don't lose it whatever it is. What is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment