Screenscribbler

Sunday 20 February 2011

Back from Conference

What a day at my 2nd Get Writing conference at Hatfield University, organised by the good people of Verulam Writer's Circle. So now my creative batteries have been recharged for another year, filled with inspirational and motivational speaking from publishers, agents, buyers and of course the writers.
The difference between last years and this years is the rapid growth of technology. I cannot recall Twitter being mentioned at all last year and yet this year it was not just mentioned but indeed promoted. One speaker went so far to say "if you're a writer and you don't use Twitter...why?" Personally I don't get it. I haven't got to grips with how to use Twitter in a functional way in terms of networking with people within the literary world and having to do this within 140 characters. When it comes to words I can't see myself being that economic. I have a Twitter account, and I use it to promote this blog, but I'm not reaching the right Twitterers.

Kindle has taken the book world by storm, with millions of people giving them as presents to their loved ones at Christmas. I was no exception. Indeed I received my Kindle in November for my birthday. Today,I came away from the conference with mixed feelings about my newfound boy toy. As I have said in a previous post, I have been on a massive binge-read since November, but I now share the guilt that our beloved bookstores are seriously under threat.
I have not turned my back on P-books or tree books as they are now described, and have purchased real books since having my Kindle. I think readers, writers and booksellers have to think seriously about how we can all benefit from this change. Waterstones, WHSmiths and other retail outlets need to look at how they can    compete with Amazon. One delegate suggested bookstores need to remain in the High Street so readers can browse and handle the books physically and then decide whether to purchase the paper book or download to a flash drive in store. I for one would prefer to do that than online.
It has been suggested that there could be an alternate market for writers who may want to think about writing specifically for the e-book  market, with shorter 'Kindle-sized paragraphs, short stories, novelettes and perhaps serialized stories. Instead of waiting for the Tsunami, the booksellers should by all means embrace the change and go with it, but not without finding a way to preserve the printed page.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lot of fun at the conference. I've never been to one thus far, and to be honest I have resisted joining the Twitter ranks. I don't have a clue on how to use it, and I have enough trouble with Facebook! My fiance uses it to promote his gaming/wrestling news blog, and he seems to be doing well. He is being followed by some game companies now.

    I have been back and forth with regards to the kindle. As it happens mine is sat next to me on the couch, and it's always with me wherever I go. But to think that it would ever take precedence over my physical library (as I refer to it) is the reason why I was so against the e-reader in the first place.

    But there are many books and authors that still haven't made it into the Kindle bookstore, and there are still people who will resist the e-book. Certainly, I think bookshops will suffer for a while, but they will pick up again. Books for children have still to find their kindle niche too.

    I'd never thought of publishing a book just for the kindle, maybe because I'm too fond of physical books. It's an interesting idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, I still wallow in that feeling of warmth and expectation when I enter a book shop and cannot imagine a life without books of the paper kind. I always take several books on holiday with me and invariably end up buying more during the trip. This is fine if the journey is overland but these days, with the baggage allowance dwindling, fying does present a problem and for that, the Kindle or iPad provides a brilliant means of carrying as many books as one wants without compromising one's allowance.I hope that the two mediums manage to live side by side for each has their place. In a hundred years I wonder what we will be reading from? I suspect the paper book will still be around.
    Interestingly, I tried replying to your post earlier today but could not for some reason. While I was trying to sort, Amazon sent an email through offering me Free Kindle Apps (I don't have a Kindle but I do have an iPad) Is this a case of Big Brother is watching us or was it coincidence? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey John :) Glad you are feeling refreshed from conference. I'm entirely unconvinced by Kindles, I have to say. call me old-fashioned, but I'd choose a gorgeous little paperback every time over a download. I'm the same with music. I had to download an album on Amazon last year - never again.
    As for twitter, I've never got into it. I know a lot if people find it useful, but I think blogging is enough for me.
    Nice to hear from you :)
    Nari X

    ReplyDelete